[cisco-voip] UC on UCS C-Series with only two on-board 1Gbps Ports - Best Practice Network Connectivity

Anthony Holloway avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 10:57:38 EST 2014

At Cisco Live US 2014, I had the opportunity to speak with several UCS and
UC on UCS Cisco employees about this very topic.  The responses were
unanimous: it's your choice.

They said, but in my own words, with the BE6Ks user/device limits, the
solution is fully supported to run on a single 1Gbps link.  The second link
is mainly for redundancy, and how you choose to implement that redundancy
is largely based on the environment in which you install the server into.

As an example, maybe you have a company with two switches in their rack and
they require each server to have a link to each switch.  Because the
switches are not stacked, you couldn't build an EtherChannel.  You would
simply go with Active/Standby.

Has anyone performed failover testing with a load on the server to document
exactly what the perceived outage, if any, would be?  A/A or A/S?