[cisco-voip] Telecom

Gary Parker G.J.Parker at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Nov 24 03:47:48 EST 2014

> On 21 Nov 2014, at 19:22, Lisa Notarianni <lisa.notarianni at scranton.edu> wrote:
>
> We are trying to gather some information on where Telecom exists in a higher education environment.  Most  times it is in the Network department somewhere in IT in general.
>
> One more question – for those in charge of Telecom who manage the VoIP systems, etc…
>
> Is your background Telecom or Network?
>
> I think most on this list are in the Network environment.

Hi Lisa, I run the UC infrastructure at Loughborough University in the UK as part of the IT support department. My background is in networking but I ran a small Realitis DX as part of a previous job so had some experience in telecoms. I took over from my predecessor, who’s background was firmly in telecoms and cabling infrastructure, as we started moving our Siemens iSDX estate over to Cisco Callmanager. Organisationally, my team is a subset of the network and security team within IT Services and we work very closely with them to ensure the telephones and network interoperate efficiently.

Historically the telephone system was operated by our facilities management/estates department, but I believe that hasn’t been the case for at least 15 years.

---
|     Unified Communications Service Manager      |
n       Loughborough University IT Services       |
|     http://delphium.lboro.ac.uk/pubkey.txt      |