[cisco-voip] Telecom

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Sat Nov 22 14:59:04 EST 2014

The placement of the team supporting voice has always been an interesting one. It covers so many different components that it is a unique situation. And it's success relies on experience in different areas. It's a tough one that's for sure.

At the University of Guelph, Telecom System Admin has existed for the most part in the Networking Infrastructure group for approximately 10 years or so, ever since we went completely VoIP.

http://www.itworldcanada.com/article/u-of-guelph-goes-all-ip-shuts-down-traditional-pbx/17757

Before that, our ROLM PBX was administered by a several contractors over the the years (beginning in the mid eighties I believe)

The actual MAC Desk and technician portion remained in our support services area for a number of years before being migrated to the Networking Infrastructure team.

There was a short period (less than two years if I recall correctly) where the MAC Desk and System Admin functions were moved to our Communications and Collaboration team.

The back ground of system admins was heavily networking with quite a bit of Microsoft and server admin experience. The background of MACDesk and technicians was primarily PBX.

For the most part, the transition for the MACDesk and technicians was ok, but there was quite a bit of frustration then (and still today, but it's mostly been accepted). The amount of steps to do something, and the complexity of the system is a pain. The lack of feature parity was another big issue. "What do you mean you want to forward you non-primary line?" ;)

System administration has been a roller coaster ride to say the least. Glad to see that Windows is finally gone, but the promise of two partitions and switching between the two like PBX's did never really did pan out as good as I had hoped.

And now, with the introduction of virtual solutions, it's become even more complicated.

We'll see what the future holds as more and more collaboration solutions are introduced.

Sent from my iPad