[cisco-voip] DRS Data Extractor - UI Thoughts‏

Pete Brown jpb at chykn.com
Wed Oct 15 13:37:00 EDT 2014

I'm working on a Windows app that extracts table records from the Informix DB backups contained within DRS backup sets.  The goal is to provide engineers with a way to reference historical config data.  It doesn't support tables with BLOB fields yet (for .wav & .aef file extraction), but so far that's only been an issue with UCCX.  Doesn't seem to have any problems with CUCM tables.
I'd like to get some thoughts on the UI design.  You'll point it to a DRS backup set and it will extract & parse the Informix ontape files.  Once that's done, how might you want to view the results?  The databases, tables and columns laid out like an expandable file tree with checkboxes to select those items you want to extract?  What attributes would you expect to see?
As far as output options, I'm leaning toward SQLLite.  I remember having a discussion with someone about this a while back (if it was you, please let me know).  A CSV option would handle most data types, but may have issues with char fields that have multiline values.
This one will be free (as in beer) like the DRS Backup Decrypter, so unfortunately I can't devote a great deal of time to non-critical features.  But I'll definitely take all suggestions into consideration.  Especially those that are relatively easy to implement and will help others save time.
Thanks,Pete