[cisco-voip] 3rd party conference phones

Scott Voll svoll.voip at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 11:09:09 EDT 2015

You are ALWAYS going to have wires.  if it's wireless it will always have a
minimum of power wires.

With that said, we had the same issue 2 years ago before the 8831 came
out.  We went with the FLX2 from revo labs like nick suggested.

everyone loved the fact that there was NO wires.  Here we are 2 years
later..... they are a pain to setup.  the batteries are shot so $$$ to
replace batteries.  vendor batteries for the phone, the mics, and the
speaker.  and we have had about 1/3 have issues that require base
replacement (known issue).   People are cranked that the last people didn't
put them on the charger so the batteries are dead when they need them.  you
don't just simply change out the mic or speaker as they are all sync'd
together.  it is a support problem.  (we really have a hard time not
telling them, we told them so).

So now as the base units keep failing, we are replacing them with the
8831's with the wireless mics.  yes they are made by revo labs also, but
they are built into CM and don't require an AD user for each phone like the
FLX2.

If revolabs is reading....... if you want to make these a valuable phone,
have cisco build it into CM.  Allow for easier syncing between devices for
replacing devices.  and fix the base units.  I think generally it's a nice
idea, just not fully baked.

YMMV

Scott