[cisco-voip] SIP analog gateways

Daniel Pagan dpagan at fidelus.com
Wed Aug 19 11:14:27 EDT 2015

Definitely a valid point on ECM -  it can help with a few errors detected on transmitted page, but consistent errors will simply cause ECM to retransmit again, and again, until the fax fails, redials, detects more errors and repeats the retransmissions, fax failure, redial, repeat again, etc.
Adding to this, you can disable ECM from a Cisco voice gateway when using fax relay. When using pass-through, this can’t be done in IOS and must be done on the fax machine itself, but fax relay has the capability to the ECM “advertisement” from the destination fax machine’s DIS, which is basically a series of tones communicating its capabilities (ECM being one of them). If this gets stripped from the DIS, the originating fax machine will simply think ECM isn’t supported and will never negotiate it when sending its DCS.

This done on the terminating gateway:

For SIP/H.323
  voice service voip
   fax-relay ecm disable