[cisco-voip] LIDB / CallerID outside of the United States

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Mon Jan 12 12:38:20 EST 2015

This part of telephony frustrates me to no end, namely because I'm not 100% sure how it works, and just when I think I do know how it's working, it turns out I don't.

That being said, I did speak to an LIDB in the US recently, pleading ignorance and asking for help and was surprised as to how much variance there can be to the whole service. It all depends on what LIDB service the provider is using and if they are using one at all, or whether they have created their own. Caching throws all rules and expectations out the window too.

The latest issue we had was this: Our PSTN provider had a bug in the network that was causing 25% of inbound calls from that provider to us to fail. We applied a workaround as a band aid to tie us over until software updates could be applied. However, this workaround exposed our internal calling name to the world, where as before this, we had blank, just number. As soon as the workaround was removed, many LIDBs out there cached the last known calling name and attached that to all called parties. I had to contact one to please clear their cache. But I tell you it wasn't easy.

Not sure if this helps or not.

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
Senior Analyst, Network Infrastructure