[cisco-voip] Changing DNS entries in Call Manager 8.6.2

Anthony Holloway avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 21:12:38 EST 2015

The easiest way to view the license MAC, is to SSH to the server, and issue
the show status command.

Also, http://cisco.com/go/license enables you to rehost your own license
files without opening a case.  Of course, I don't guarantee you'll be
successful, but it's nice to know this option exists.

[image: Inline image 1]

Another thing to note, you will get 30 days to rehost your license before
anything bad happens to your servers, but if you're in a pinch, and you're
like on day 28 and you need like 10 more days, you can revert your change,
then make the same change again, to restart the 30 day period.

If that was confusing, let me use this example.  If my primary DNS was
1.1.1.1, and I changed it to 2.2.2.2, I would have 30 days to rehost my
licenses.  On day 28, I set the primary DNS back to 1.1.1.1, then
immediately back to 2.2.2.2, and the 30 days starts over.

Last, buy certainly not least, if you are changing DNS settings, it would
be imperative for you to consider what might happen if you changed your DNS
suffix.  I cannot speak to your environment exactly, but suffice it to say,
certificates are based on names, and names sometimes contain DNS suffixes.
You might start a chain reaction of changes, and as such you should plan
that piece out more carefully.  If you're only changing DNS server
addresses, then you can ignore this last paragraph.

Good luck.