[cisco-voip] cutting the cord... going wireless

Walenta, Philip Philip.Walenta at Polycom.com
Thu Jan 29 14:27:04 EST 2015

Jumping in the way-back machine to Circa 2004 –

Wireless was B only at the time, and someone at a company wanted to deploy 900 desktops and 900 wireless phones (call center even).

After 298 access points got installed (basically 1 AP to ~ 3 cubes), and numerous hours spent on wireless surveys, troubleshooting etc., the whole thing was scrapped because it wasn’t feasible with the bandwidth available on B only radios, especially when things like Windows updates were occurring.

That being said, today I still wouldn’t consider going all wireless simply because there isn’t enough radio space available to account for people’s habits, even with N or AC.  I help maintain several hundred+ AP deployments of Cisco, Aruba and Juniper wireless.  Even when the network is stable I can still see occasional glitches and slowdowns when kids in a school all run into the lunchroom with their iPads/iPods/Android devices.  Yes you can use the Class of service features, but an overload is still an overload and there’s only so much that can be done.

I’d say wait until AC + WiGig (60Ghz spectrum) get sorted out in more detail before considering cutting this particular cord.

From: cisco-voip [mailto:cisco-voip-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Lelio Fulgenzi
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2015 11:53 AM
To: Cisco-voip (cisco-voip at puck.nether.net)
Subject: [cisco-voip] cutting the cord... going wireless

Has anyone deployed a wireless only voice deployment, either as a retrofit or greenfield?

I'm going to be leading a discussion that considers "cutting the cord" so to speak and one thing that will come up will be phones. I know that Cisco has a few(?) wireless options for desk sets, but considering the pervasiveness of mobile devices, maybe this isn't even an issue?

Any information or feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
Senior Analyst, Network Infrastructure