[cisco-voip] UC official ISO's and bootable ISO

Charles Goldsmith wokka at justfamily.org
Thu Jun 18 09:49:16 EDT 2015

For lab purposes, we've all probably modified an ISO  to make it bootable
(if you don't know how, just google it), and it's pretty easy to do with
the right tools.

I don't ever remember seeing an official stance from Cisco on it, and I've
heard that TAC can tell if a system was installed with an ISO that didn't
match the md5 checksum.

I recently ran into an issue with a customer, a non-profit, didn't have
smartnet on their UC and they lost their call manager sub (hardware
issues).  Their cluster was originally installed with 9.0.1 and upgraded to
9.1.1.  When rebuilding the sub, you can't boot from 9.0 and do an in-place
upgrade to 9.1, it won't let you.  We couldn't find a 9.1.1 bootable iso
easily, so the obvious thing to do was to quickly edit the iso and boot
from 9.1

They don't have support, so I'm not that concerned with it, and I've never
had problems in labs with this type of setup, but would like some feedback.

Thanks!