[cisco-voip] SIP Phones and Port Security

Ryan Ratliff (rratliff) rratliff at cisco.com
Thu Mar 26 16:59:57 EDT 2015

Are you using switch stacks?  I’ve worked a few cases like this over the years and the first one was nasty to track down so kudos for getting as far as you did, though I expect with 30s as your timer you probably hit it much more frequently than the default 2min value does. In my case the keepalives for primary and backup UCMs had to align perfectly (they are on separate 120s timers) AND the switch had to get busy before the problem would trigger.

I believe the answer is that your switch does port security stuff in the CPU so when they get busy (made worse with stacks of switches) the TCP session times out before the mac gets allowed to transmit.  Since TCP retransmit timers are based on RTT that timeout can be just a few seconds.

Long story short, don’t make your port security aging time equal to or less than your signaling keepalive.

I’m afraid I don’t have much to add about why you see it show up in the data vlan first. Maybe the first packet in that case is a CDP packet?  That won’t be tagged so may result in a mac address-table entry for the native vlan (just a guess).

-Ryan