[cisco-voip] Hardware for UC

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Mon Mar 30 11:58:29 EDT 2015

I'm going to be suggesting rack mount C series to my manager at this time, for a number of reasons.

We have two data centres, so I have to split the equipment over two locations. Putting a full fledged B series solution would be cost prohibitive.

Plus, I like that the C series has local storage. At the last CiscoLive I heard quite a few issues getting remote storage working properly and keeping it working properly. The calculations they presented to ensure it would work was like a first year calculus class.

What I was hoping was that the UCSExpress module would be TRC approved at some point so we could run a few of those, but after finding out about how each server in the cluster has to be the same specs (still not sure why) not sure if that will fly in our environment.

Lelio

P.S. I'm not sure vMotion is fully supported within UC on UCS. I've read a few things on the list that seem to point to shutdown/copy/move only.

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
Senior Analyst, Network Infrastructure
University of Guelph