[cisco-voip] FXS Ring Cadence

Wes Sisk (wsisk) wsisk at cisco.com
Thu May 7 10:48:54 EDT 2015

Hi Jon,

Continuous ring voltage is a bit interesting. Have you ruled out L1 / cabling issue?

Next best approach is to get the telco to supply correct/consistent ring cadence for the region - these vary around the world with US defaulting to 2 on 4 off, IIRC.

After that it gets advanced, and unusual.
Since you give the UCM version I’m assuming this is MGCP. With the ports under MGCP control there isn’t much you can do. Possibly select a different locale in UCM? This *might* affect the ring voltage detection by passing a different CPTone command to the router.

If you use the router in H.323 or SIP where the router directly controls the port then you can use more advanced IOS features to control the port like CPtone and customized ring voltage.

In my experience advanced and custom features like FXO detecting distinctive rings, as a means of providing out of band information, don’t get very robust support.

-Wes