[cisco-voip] Video Architecture

Rob Dawson rdawson at force3.com
Mon Oct 19 09:45:35 EDT 2015

Personally, I am definitely seeing video as a component a lot more. In the last year I’ve had to implement a large VTC pilot with all the requisite infrastructure (TMS, Telepresence Server, Conductor, etc.), Collaboration Meeting rooms, etc. I view it all as just another part of convergence and an integral part of both “cisco-voip” and the Cisco Collaboration platform. As you said, the architecture is moving to 100% CUCM call control. We have gone from bespoke TDM solutions and working a punch down tool to needing to be network/systems/application/voice engineers. At the end of the day video is just another application on the network.

For a lot of customers video is still just kind of a gimmick and it is not ubiquitous enough to drive adoption widely. I think that as those of us in pre-sales become better at tying the video use case to a holistic collaboration solution then adoption will ramp up and we will start to find some pull through for customers that are on the ledge.

As for your follow-up question about resources, I think that the Cisco Preferred Architecture guides are pretty good. The latest one for video is here - http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/solutions/PA/midmarket/11x/video11x.pdf. Vidoe is also covered as a component of the mid-market and enterprise collaboration architectures too. You can find them, as well as the Cisco Validated Design docs here - http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/enterprise/design-zone-collaboration/index.html.

Rob