[cisco-voip] CUBE - Dial-peer multiple destination-pattern matching

Walenta, Philip Philip.Walenta at Polycom.com
Mon Oct 26 08:18:20 EDT 2015

To add what has been said already - managing large scales of numbers in a router becomes very problematic.  The bigger your dial plan, the worse it gets.  It's far easier to let IME handle this automatically.

I've managed large scales before - and as Ryan said - it gets to looking like a toddlers playroom.  That cannot be understated.  The chance for errors in something like this grows almost exponentially.  You don't want to troubleshoot this many dial patterns if something isn't working.

From: cisco-voip [mailto:cisco-voip-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Ryan Huff
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2015 7:12 AM
To: Ed Leatherman
Cc: cisco-voip at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [cisco-voip] CUBE - Dial-peer multiple destination-pattern matching

A couple of items to keep in mind;

1.) Can only be used on VOIP dial peers

2.) When you have multiple pattern matches, the match with the longest prefix is considered the matching criteria which does not necessarily have to be the most specific match.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/voice/dialpeer/configuration/15-mt/vd-15-mt-book/vd-mdp-dialpeer.pdf

Unless there is an underlying reason for MPS I would suggest a SME or just stand up an IC/SIP trunk between the clusters and kick on ILS. The justification for SME would be scalability and number of connected calls.

Where MPS has served me well is in a deployment with an insane amount of e164 numbers. It allowed me to exceed the "rule of 15" for voice translations on the router and also do some aggressive summarization without having to make CCM's numplan stack look like a toddler's playroom.

Sent from my iPad