[cisco-voip] Feature Request to fix Licensing issues with EM

James Andrewartha jandrewartha at ccgs.wa.edu.au
Sun Sep 20 23:06:58 EDT 2015

On 18/09/15 03:33, Anthony Holloway wrote:
> Lastly, if this were a greenfield project, and you had 100 phones with
> 100% EM, then you would only need to buy 100 UCL Enhanced licenses to
> cover the phones themselves, and they would not have owner user IDs,
> just anonymous.  Then, if you need your employees, say you had 100 also,
> to have iPad, iPhone, CSF, etc, you would need to buy another license
> for each user.  To make it easy, say each person had three devices, then
> you'll need 100 CUWL Standard.  So, at the end of the day, you end up
> with 200 licenses (100 UCL Enhanced + 100 CUWL Standard).  However, if
> you wanted to play the licensing game, you would just not buy the 100
> Enhanced, and assign each person a random phone, because their CUWL
> Standard would cover it.  The negative is that the UCM User page, and
> their Jabber client on the PC/Mac, would show this random phone for them
> to manage.

Would it? I thought that went by the associated user in the line
configuration -
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/10_0_1/ccmcfg/CUCM_BK_C95ABA82_00_admin-guide-100/CUCM_BK_C95ABA82_00_admin-guide-100_chapter_01011111.html#CUCM_TK_AB8A7B9B_00

AFAICT the device owner is purely used for licensing purposes. The DAT
(nice tool) even uses the control device as a matching rule for the
device owner. Speaking of which, is there a good tool for keeping
control device up to date, or is it just another manual thing to keep
track of during MACD?

Thanks,

--
James Andrewartha