[cisco-voip] Smart Call Home on CUCM 10.5 and DNS

Johnson, Ken kenjohnson at letu.edu
Thu Sep 24 12:48:01 EDT 2015

We recently upgraded to CUCM 10.5 and got an alert that we needed to configure Smart Call Home.

We didn’t know much about it so researched it and it looked like something good to configure so we did – and then got the error that it couldn’t send the initial messages because we didn’t have DNS configured on our cluster.

Researching that – it looked like adding DNS at the CLI level was straightforward:

Set network dns
set network dns primary 2.2.2.2
set network dns secondary 1.1.1.1
set network domain domain.com

but per following document (admittedly for 8.x but presume it is similar for 10) it looks like adding the DNS server values could result in a need for careful re-push of ITL

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/8_6_1/install/cmins861.html#wp463644

If this is the case we’d have to follow the processes at
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/10_0_1/ipchange/CUCM_BK_C3782AAB_00_change-ipaddress-hostname-100/CUCM_BK_C3782AAB_00_change-ipaddress-hostname-100_chapter_0101.html#CUCM_TK_R63ED7F7_00

My question is – since we have no DNS client active, no servers configured, and no domain name set on our cluster today – will adding any of those force the kind of careful ITL and other guidance the document above references – or is that only caused by changing these values.

Alternately – since we don’t need the DNS domain set (unless Smart Home needs it) could we just enable the DNS client and add the DNS servers without setting the domain and avoid any cluster-wide major impact?

Thanks!

Ken Johnson