[cisco-voip] SIP sessions

Anthony Holloway avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 15:45:10 EST 2016

1) 1 session is equal to 1 call passing through the CUBE.  Yes, that is two
SIP legs on the CUBE, so your "show sip-ua call summary" command will not
show you a session count, rather a leg count.  CUCM RTMT Performance
Counters can show you a quantity of SIP calls on the trunk.  As long as the
call flow is ITSP to CUBE to CUCM for all calls, then CUCM should have a
pretty accurate picture of how many active calls are on your CUBE.  Though,
I'm not quite sure how it will handle PSTN hairpinned/tromboned calls.  I'm
going to guess it will handle it accurately, since the enterprise dial
peers are still in a dialog with CUCM.

2) No, that command does not limit you.  Personally, I would not worry
about exceeding what you pay for, on occasion.  I would also not worry
about running CUBE in a lab without buying sessions for it either.  But
then I would also not condone buying 1 session and then running 100
sessions through a production CUBE.  Do your best to plan and purchase for
your capacity, and don't sweat the rest.  That's just me.  As for limiting
your calls, yes you should, otherwise you'll overrun your QoS priority
queue.  So, some kind of CAC is necessary.  This can be done in CUCM by
creating a location called PSTN (or banana for all I care), and placing
your SIP trunk to CUBE in this location.  Alternatively, CUBE itself has
CAC mechanisms to, such as limiting how many sessions a dial-peer can
have.  Kind of tricky if you have more than one dial peer though.

Some resources:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/voice/cube/configuration/cube-book.html

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/123281/how-check-active-call-count-sip

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/71326/call-admission-control-cac-implementation-cube