[cisco-voip] Max length for analogue

Dave Goodwin dave.goodwin at december.net
Wed Jun 22 17:20:22 EDT 2016

As Brian stated, the cable properties of the copper makes a difference.

In terms of the Cisco device, this is the only thing I have seen recently
that talks about a specific distance. In this case it is longer than is
usually advertised (3.4km) for run-of-the-mill 26 AWG wire and it's only
with a certain type of card (VIC3-2FXS-E/DID).
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/enterprise-networks/empowered-branch-solution/application_note_c27_461821.html

Some of the more typical distances for non-specialty cards are mentioned
here:
https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-10122

In the limited applications I've encountered where it was not possible to
extend the IP network but it was required to provide an analog extension,
the recommendation was to run fiber and utilize a pair of fiber-to-POTS
media converters on either end. I saw one instance where several thousand
feet of copper was used because it was the only thing available, and it
seemed to work. But no one was able to tell us the type of cabling, and we
didn't really have confidence it would work.