[cisco-voip] Max length for analogue

Norton, Mike mikenorton at pwsd76.ab.ca
Wed Jun 22 19:44:15 EDT 2016

If they are currently doing 24 km then there probably are (or ought to be) inductive loading coils every so often in order to counteract the capacitance of the cable. Otherwise the sound quality would be lousy (high-frequency loss) no matter what equipment is on the end.

I'm guessing that the reason Cisco gives 3.4 km as the max supported by the VIC3-2FXS-E/DID is because by that point you need to be thinking about engineering loading coils into your cable plant. If the cable plant is well-designed, it would probably be fine for much longer distances.

Of course, the distinction between "probably fine" and "officially supported" can sometimes be an issue. ;-)

I don't know any specific products, but one possible avenue to pursue might be a third-party DS1 channel bank of some sort. I'm guessing that in that arena, you'd be more likely to find something that officially supports mega distances. Then supply it with dialtone from a T1/E1 card in your Cisco gateway of choice.

-mn