[cisco-voip] Porting numbers between carriers

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 08:03:23 EDT 2016

Good morning,

Is anyone familiar with the process of porting telephone numbers between
carriers?

I've recently ported 40 numbers from "Carrier A" to "Carrier B". Carrier B
now has the numbers in their system and most callers to those numbers are
getting to us via our SIP trunk with Carrier B.

However, callers on local POTS lines with Carrier A are still reaching us
via our existing PRI with Carrier A.

Carrier B says the porting is complete; Carrier A says B has not completed
the process and that is why the numbers are still active with them.

Aside from me riding Carrier B every day to figure it out, what magic is
involved behind the scenes here? I miss BGP.

--
Ed Leatherman