[cisco-voip] Porting numbers between carriers

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Fri Jun 24 09:04:53 EDT 2016

I was surprised when this happened to me during our first porting exercise.

>From what I understand, there is a routing table of numbers, which tell a switch where to send a call.

But there is also a local routing table, or list of physical termination points, can't remember, on a local CO which over ride a call being sent out into the cloud to be routed accordingly.

When this happens, everyone who is not on the PBX that the number originally existed on will be routed properly. This means, company B has done their job. Everyone who is on the PBX that the number originally existed on will be routed to the old destination. This means, company A did NOT finish the porting properly, by pointing the numbers they were supposed to port into the cloud.

Now, who's responsibility is it to push company A to finish their job? I think it still has to be company B.

Carriers hate porting numbers. And they do very little to make it a smooth process.

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
Senior Analyst, Network Infrastructure
University of Guelph