[cisco-voip] 8.6 SW_Feature License

Norton, Mike mikenorton at pwsd76.ab.ca
Thu Mar 10 15:13:47 EST 2016

You didn't say what product you're talking about, so I'm going assume you're talking about CUCM.

My CUCM 8.6 cluster only has one, for the publisher's MAC address. So I think you only need one. Interestingly my license file is actually for "8.0" not for 8.6. Hmm.

Licensing for 8.6 is the absolute worst ever, because Cisco sells/sold 8.6 using the new licensing scheme (per-user), but the actual software itself still operates using license files from the old scheme (DLUs, nodes). Any time you have any kind of licensing issue, nobody at Cisco ever understands this. They always either try to tell you you need to buy more DLUs/node licenses (which is impossible because 8.6 is not sold that way), or they try to tell you that you that 8.6 does not require licenses for DLUs/nodes. Best case scenario is that someone will sympathize but tell you you should upgrade to 9.

My solution eventually ending up being to migrate sites away from CUCM until our DLU needs reduced enough to work with the license files that I'm stuck with. We only have one site still left to migrate away from CUCM, hopefully for not much longer. Screw Cisco for dumping this manure on customers.

-mn