[cisco-voip] centralized vs distributed media resources

Joshua Warcop josh at warcop.com
Thu Nov 10 16:01:00 EST 2016

            Hey,There's a lot of ways to design, but since the introduction of video it's popular to centralize conferencing resources. An 8 core Virtual Telepresence Server can host a lot of audio-only participants. Cisco Meeting Server is essentially the same concept with centralized resources. It also depends if PSTN connectivity is distributed or centralized. If it's distributed there's usually a reason for local DSP resources. Therefore a light amount of confernecing can be done on the local router. For me it comes down to where to spend the money.  I would prefer to buy bandwidth for sites and centralized compute and resources. However, it's really just a matter of preference. Two or five or ten audio streams across the WAN isn't a big deal to me. When the conferencing gets above your WAN bandwidth percentage that you've worked out for audio then it's definitely a different story. Thanks! ---- On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 13:24:22 -0500  Hendrix, Bill W. - US<george.hendrix at caci.com> wrote ----      Hey guys,     Just wondering what the recommendation is for DSP resources, distributed vs centralized.  I’ve always thought it best to have remote DSP resources along with centralized resources.  This way, if say you have folks conference together  in a remote call, the stream to the central office is one stream.  I’m pretty sure the “resource” selected is based on the initiator of the conference.     User A at central office calls PSTN, and conferences in user at remote office, then the DSP resource would come from the central office, assuming it is configured as such in the MRGL.   User B at a remote site calls the PSTN which routes thru the Central office connection, then conferences in another person who is in their office (yeah, I know they could just be on the same call in one room).  In this case, if there are  only centralized media resources, wouldn’t there now be two voice streams from that remote office to the conference resource at the central office?  If the remote office had local media resources, then it would be just one stream to the central office, correct?   Isn’t this more ideal?     Regards,   Bill Hendrix      _______________________________________________ cisco-voip mailing list cisco-voip at puck.nether.net https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-voip