[cisco-voip] Upgrade from 10.5.2 ->11.5.1

Anthony Holloway avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 10:01:05 EDT 2016

I think the most important thing to know is, upgrading your apps via PCD is
no different than you upgrading them yourself.  That is, unless you plan to
be asleep while it's happening, and just wake up in the morning on 11.5.

If instead you plan to babysit the PCD process, you really are not gaining
anything by using PCD to do the upgrade for you.  You still have to plan
for the upgrade as if PCD were not involved: read upgrade guides, release
notes, read mes, install COP files, clear disk space, plan the phone
firmware upgrade, check compatible phones (and yes you're going to lose
phone support in 11.5), check gateway compatibility, upgrade Jabber, and
the list goes on.

PCD is going to save you zero time and effort, and in fact, it will
increase your work effort, because on top of everything you are already
responsible for in planning and executing the upgrade normally, now you
need to read the PCD guides and cross your fingers you don't hit a PCD bug
in the process.

So, like I said, unless you're going to let PCD run all by itself while
you're away, I wouldn't bother with it.  But really, who is ready to trust
PCD to an unattended upgrade, to include a switch version?

That's my opinion on the matter.  Let's hear from you, why you are using
PCD for this task in the first place, and what benefits you think it brings
to your project.