[cisco-voip] DNS Friendly Names and URL Paths

Norton, Mike mikenorton at pwsd76.ab.ca
Thu Oct 20 18:14:51 EDT 2016

I would be a bit wary of HTTP redirects being a convenient attack vector for phishing. Especially if they are happening over unencrypted HTTP and across the Internet. But even just behaviorally, I don’t think it is a good practice to get users comfortable seeing the “official” URIs be redirected to ugly technical-looking URIs. Makes it easier to trick them into using a fake page. If they’re used to always seeing a memorable simple and pretty URI, then they’re more likely to notice when something is amiss.

An alternative would be to rewrite URIs with a reverse proxy (or L7 load balancer). This would avoid the need for redirects and would keep the user’s browser pointed at a nice pretty URI. As a security bonus, you’d be able to firewall direct L3 access to the application service, and also your client machines wouldn’t need to be allowed to access weird ports.

Another option is to just not bother with friendly names, push favourites/bookmarks into users’ browsers (e.g. via group policy, mdm) and train them to get to the applications that way.

-mn