[cisco-voip] 11.5.1SU2 Can't Add Node

Ryan Huff ryanhuff at outlook.com
Sun Aug 20 22:42:28 EDT 2017

Just following up on this to close my loop .... My issue is now resolved, and happened to be a more rare case I would suspect. My customer in this case had a Juniper network infrastructure that I did not have access to; one of these deals where you have to ask someone to do or see anything in their network. Anyway and to make a long story short; the customer had jumbo frame support enabled in the network path and didn't realize it.

It was difficult for me to spot solo because I could only see the PCAPs from the CUCM pub and didn't have good 3-way handshakes to analyze (not sure how I would spot outside of a 3-way handshake looking at the SYN packets where you could see the inbound packet on the receiving end). The client ultimately opened a case with Juniper support and when the topic was mentioned ... didn't take long for them to spot in the customer's network.

What brought me to this suspicion aside from the customer stating no filtering/inspection was happening over the WAN was in the PCAPs; I could see successful communication back and forth until a 'certain point'; which in hindsight is where the packets exceed the default 1500 byte MTU CUCM/ESXi was using and unexpected fragmentation occurs which looks like packet loss to the TCP/IP stack on the servers. Then just a ton of TCP retransmissions because that is the nature of TCP, to retransmit failed packets. That isn't behavior consistent with ACLs or filtering/inspection because that behavior would typically be reflected immediately (when looking at the timeline of a packet capture sample set).

So don't rule out MTU! Now if you have control of the network end-to-end I'd guess you'd know if you had a fragmentation problem, but when you are blind-folded from the network, it can be like trying to herd a litter of feral cats.

-Ryan