[cisco-voip] CUCM 10.5 and Office 365

Gary Parker G.J.Parker at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Jul 6 04:13:22 EDT 2017

> On 6 Jul 2017, at 00:53, Terry Oakley <Terry.Oakley at rdc.ab.ca> wrote:
>
> We are currently working towards moving our MS office products to Office 365.   We have currently a hybrid 2013 Exchange server that is routing emails etc to either our legacy system or the new Office 365 cloud.   The part I am working on is unified messaging and how to get the UM portion to function so that voice mail is handled and the message waiting indicator is on or off.    Anyone had experience with this configuration?
>
> CUCM 10.5
> Exchange 2007 inhouse
> Exchange 2013 hybrid
> Office 365 hosted in the cloud
> Expressway C
> Expressway E

Hi Terry, our setup is very similar to yours (except we’re on 11.5, as opposed to 10.5) with the addition of a Cisco Unity Connection server for voicemail. CUCM is configured with voicemail ports pointing to the CUC server which holds the voicemail, sets MWI state, and duplicates the messages to our O365 mailboxes. The O365 integration is configured as a “Unified Messaging Service” within CUC and obviously relies on proper LDAP integration to ensure your Directory Numbers match up properly with users you configure to have unified voicemail boxes.

It appears you can do this without CUC, and connect directly to Exchange from CUCM via a SIP trunk (http://www.wavecoreit.com/blog/exchange/how-to-setup-cucm-10-5-for-exchange-2013-unified-messaging-voicemail/) but I don’t know if this will work with a hybrid O365 deployment and you get a *lot* more functionality from CUC (the main one being IVRs).

Also, this from Cisco support communities (https://communities.cisco.com/thread/31729):
If you are talking about using CUCM on premise and Exchange UM in the cloud then Cisco doesn't endorse or support it. MSFT has had an app note for it but it uses third party border controllers and you will have to work with two vendors support.

---
|     Unified Communications Service Manager      |
n      Loughborough University, IT Services       |
|     http://delphium.lboro.ac.uk/pubkey.txt      |