[cisco-voip] CUCM 10.5 and Office 365

James Andrewartha jandrewartha at ccgs.wa.edu.au
Thu Jul 6 23:40:14 EDT 2017

Hi Gary,

On 06/07/17 16:13, Gary Parker wrote:
> Hi Terry, our setup is very similar to yours (except we’re on 11.5, as opposed to 10.5) with the addition of a Cisco Unity Connection server for voicemail. CUCM is configured with voicemail ports pointing to the CUC server which holds the voicemail, sets MWI state, and duplicates the messages to our O365 mailboxes. The O365 integration is configured as a “Unified Messaging Service” within CUC and obviously relies on proper LDAP integration to ensure your Directory Numbers match up properly with users you configure to have unified voicemail boxes.

We've been stuck with on-premises Exchange because we use it for
voicemail, and I've been put off by the fact our voicemail is directly
in Exchange UM. That and S4B in 365 is clearly not a solution for us in
Australia as they don't do PSTN integration without local SBCs.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2578229

But at least now I know there are options if we stick with CUCM (which
is fairly likely given our reliance on Informacast). I'm still a bit
hesitant as there's 50+ms of latency to our 365 tenancy.

> It appears you can do this without CUC, and connect directly to Exchange from CUCM via a SIP trunk (http://www.wavecoreit.com/blog/exchange/how-to-setup-cucm-10-5-for-exchange-2013-unified-messaging-voicemail/) but I don’t know if this will work with a hybrid O365 deployment and you get a *lot* more functionality from CUC (the main one being IVRs).

Exchange UM can do IVRs, although they call them auto attendants. S4B
365 only just got AAs in its Cloud PBX product. Either way I'm not
really interested in using CUC

> Also, this from Cisco support communities (https://communities.cisco.com/thread/31729):
> If you are talking about using CUCM on premise and Exchange UM in the cloud then Cisco doesn't endorse or support it. MSFT has had an app note for it but it uses third party border controllers and you will have to work with two vendors support.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/nexthop/2016/04/16/how-to-integrate-a-pbxip-pbx-phone-system-with-o365-exchange-um-online/
is from last year and notes the ASR 1000 is a supported SBC, along with
AcmePacket, AudioCodes, Ingate, NET and Sonus.

I wonder if it would be possible to use ExpressRoute to talk directly to
the Exchange UM SBC from CUCM without having to use your own SBC, like
you can do with on-premises Exchange.

Thanks,

--
James Andrewartha