[cisco-voip] offline network - using NAT/PAT to connect to the outside world

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Wed Jul 19 14:28:45 EDT 2017

A while back we had a good discussion about offline network upgrade preparation. A few people mentioned using NAT/PAT in order to connect to servers that would be too difficult to replicate in the off-line network.

I'm trying to get my head around this and thought I'd share this simplified plan that I want to start off with.

In the offline network we have:

*         a layer 3 switch that does the routing for the offline network

*         a router which does some other tasks like NTP, DHCP, etc.

*         layer 3 switch is connected to router

Here's what I envision:

*         connect the router to a public network, i.e. network 45

*         configure NAT/PAT on the router so that all the inside networks (on the switch) are patted using the public network address

*         configure static routes on the router for all inside networks (on the switch) pointing to the switch

*         configure static routes on the router for specific outside networks pointing network 45 gw

*         configure static routes on the switch for specific outside networks pointing to the router interface

The biggest issue here is that we have replicated many of our public networks in this offline network and there can't be any chance of that leaking.

But I'm pretty sure this would prevent that.

Thoughts? Gotchas?

Lelio

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.