[cisco-voip] CCX and NTP

James Andrewartha jandrewartha at ccgs.wa.edu.au
Mon May 8 11:50:34 EDT 2017

If you’re running NTP 4.2.8, there’s a new directive “pool” that regularly removes defunct servers and resolves new ones from a pool address.

If you want to run your own stratum 1 NTP server, I can recommend the LeoNTP<http://leontp.com/> which is relatively cheap [1]. You do need to have good GPS reception, but it runs off PoE so you can just run some ethernet near a window. I would still run NTP on your gateways and have them sync to it rather than having clients point directly at it.

[1] I received mine free for stress-testing it in the public NTP pool, it has served 70,000 requests per second at times without missing a beat.

--
James Andrewartha
Network & Projects Engineer