[cisco-voip] firmware COP files - TFTP server only? or all nodes?

Dave Goodwin dave.goodwin at december.net
Mon Sep 11 17:20:58 EDT 2017

In some cases the device definitions (e.g. support for new model or new
product specific configuration settings) need to be updated. I believe that
is another reason that *some* devpacks need to be installed on all nodes
rather than just TFTP nodes.

If you are concerned about the Device Defaults being updated when you
install the devpack on the publisher (a good thing to be thinking about),
one thing you could consider doing is as follows. Prior to doing anything,
take a snip of the Device Defaults and then stop Cisco TFTP on the TFTP
nodes (or de-activate under Service Activation, since these installs
sometimes call for a reboot in the docs). Then after your devpack install
is complete, go to Device Defaults and change anything back to the
pre-devpack state if that is your wish. Then you can start up Cisco TFTP
again. After that, you may wish to initiate an all-devices restart by hand
or through BAT. Especially if any of the devpack updates affects your
existing devices.

Just keep in mind, sometimes the product specific configuration updates
that are provided with devpacks actually require new device firmware to be
installed. So you could get into a state where you try to configure
something in UCM with a setting in there, but you can't make the config
take effect if you prevent the phone from actually updating to a firmware
version that recognizes the new setting flag.

-Dave