[cisco-voip] can CUCM config w/ FQDN be avoided any more?

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Tue Sep 19 11:33:51 EDT 2017

So, we, like many others, went with IP addresses as hostname in our CUCM cluster. Best practice, avoid DNS issues, etc.

But now, certificate authorities will not grant certificates to private IP addresses and we need (would like) publicly signed certificates to avoid those pesky errors.

I really can't see a way to avoid not using FQDN in CUCM configs any longer.

>From what I recall, the reliance on DNS was on system/service (re)start-up and after that, no real reliance. Not sure if the local tables age out or not.

What are people's thoughts and experiences?

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
Senior Analyst, Network Infrastructure
University of Guelph