[cisco-voip] expressway cluster restart order - E's first, then C's?

Matt Jacobson m4ttjacobson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 18:14:32 EDT 2017

I've never seen any documentation that is specific about shutdown order
etc. There are also 3 different restart options for Expressway/VCS --
restart, reboot, or power down. There is also series of guides for cluster
maintenance under deployment guides, which may be helpful for you.
https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/expressway/config_guide/X8-10/Cisco-Expressway-Cluster-Creation-and-Maintenance-Deployment-Guide-X8-10.pdf

Aside from upgrades, the few times I've had to do something like this was
restarting Expressways to clear software errors. I did the primary, then
secondary nodes once the primary was back online. This is also the order
suggested for upgrades. I personally do not see any value in doing one
cluster before the other, but most of the deployments I see are the simple
and supported ones.