[cisco-voip] Do you need CUBE over a private VPN between the 2 Cisco Clusters ( same company ) ?

Ryan Huff ryanhuff at outlook.com
Tue Feb 20 08:22:13 EST 2018

It’s not going to be a great experience unless both sides have their own local voice media termination. I’m assuming one side has the CUBE and one side would do the SIP trunk to the other side for PSTN needs? If so, media will have to traverse this tunnel too (unless the phone networks have a different route to the other side where CUBE is).

Your QoS strategy will be gone once traffic hit the tunnel, so if it’s congested that may be an issue. If the VPN isn’t setup correctly, you may have one-way audio off the bat; how easy is it for you to interface with the customer network teams for troubleshooting? “MTP Required” may be an option if you hit network/audio issue the customer can’t/won’t resolve but it isn’t a great solution.

If the trunk is just to enable site to site calling, have them use the PSTN (you could simulate site-to-site using the PSTN with translation and route patterns if necessary); it would be a better experience and the carrier is on the hook for call quality issues.

Having been down this path before; it’s possible but not usually an exceptionally great end user experience and you, as the implementation engineer, will be bruised along the way (so find a bus to sit under now).

Thanks,

Ryan