[cisco-voip] CUCM and Auto Fill Credentials

Ryan Ratliff (rratliff) rratliff at cisco.com
Thu Mar 15 14:12:10 EDT 2018

With respect to storing passwords the intent for the ssh username/password field for IP phones is something that was generally not considered very sensitive info. The separation of ssh credentials from enabling SSH was also done to help mitigate the fact that this info is available to anyone by default.

For TP endpoints while their admin credentials can be configured in UCM the endpoint ignores that setting unless the TFTP config file is encrypted, for just this reason.

With respect to the fix in 12.0 I haven’t figured that out just yet. The id and name attributes on the HTML inputs are different, but both have type “password”. Personally I can’t imagine why the browser would think a stored credential from one html element should be autofilled into an entirely different field, but I guess the browser is trying to be helpful.

The only big difference I can see in 12.0 is the proper use of tags in the input and labels associated with them.
10.5
<label for="SSHPASSWORD">Secure Shell Password </label>
    <input autocomplete="off" id="SSHPASSWORD" name="sshpassword" maxlength="200" size="50" value="" onchange="issshpasswordValid(this)" type="password">

12.x
    <label id="SSHPASSWORD_ID" for="SSHPASSWORD">Secure Shell Password </label>
    <input autocomplete="off" id="SSHPASSWORD" name="sshpassword" maxlength="288" size="50" value="" onchange="issshpasswordValid(this)" type="password”>

Not a ton of changes between those two. The maxlength change is directly from the defect I cited earlier.

For the login it seems to be unchanged from 10.5 to 12.x.
<input size="20" autocomplete="off" name="j_password" maxlength="128" type="password">

I’m not an expert in HTML autocomplete so it’s going to take some more testing to figure out exactly why the login credentials aren’t auto-filled in this field any longer.

-Ryan