[cisco-voip] building an API box - what do I need?

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 16:55:16 EDT 2018

I'm interested in the topic as well. I just have a Linux vm where I can
load python or perl mods that I might want to run.

To answer your last question, for the few things I've ever done with it I
always ask for the credentials at run-time, that way it is running as
whatever CUCM user is doing the operation (on the off chance it's not me).

We just had an ansible workshop here yesterday, I might start using that
for managing VG2XX's (code upgrades and the like). Not strictly API
related, but ansible might be another thing you'd run on a box like that if
you're inclined.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 4:17 PM, Lelio Fulgenzi <lelio at uoguelph.ca> wrote:

> I'm going to make a (sad) attempt to try my hand at API usage. You know,
> running those sweet commands against CUCM or WebEx, etc to make my life
> easier. I'm hoping that by starting with some simple examples, I can build
> what I need as time goes on.
>
> My hope is to build scripts that I can run via CLI, but also create simple
> web pages with buttons that execute those scripts, with or without
> arguments. The webpages themselves will be protected appropriately.
>
> But I'm starting from scratch. I do have a resource that I'm hoping will
> help out, but I'm wondering, if you were building an api box from scratch,
> what sort of things would you want (or need) on it to make things run
> smoothly?
>
> I'm guessing if I want to automate any of these scripts, I'll have no
> choice but to store the userID/password either in the script or read from a
> file. I've asked this before of a few people, but there is no real way to
> store a password securely and decrypt it at time of running the script.
>
> For interactive scripts, either CLI or web form, do you use the same
> userID/password, or are you asking for credentials and use those
> credentials?
>
> I know... a big ask.
>

> ---
> Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A. | Senior Analyst
> Computing and Communications Services | University of Guelph
> Room 037 Animal Science & Nutrition Bldg | 50 Stone Rd E | Guelph, ON |
> N1G 2W1
> 519-824-4120 Ext. 56354 | lelio at uoguelph.ca<mailto:lelio at uoguelph.ca>
>
> www.uoguelph.ca/ccs<http://www.uoguelph.ca/ccs> | @UofGCCS on Instagram,
> Twitter and Facebook
>
> [University of Guelph Cornerstone with Improve Life tagline]

Ed Leatherman