[cisco-voip] CUCM Pre-Upgrade Checklist

Anthony Holloway avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 23:38:42 EDT 2018

Has anyone seen this lately?  This thing is nuts.  I've been doing upgrades
for like 10 years now, and this seems a little over the top.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/11_5_1/cucm_b_upgrade-guide-cucm-115/cucm_b_upgrade-guide-cucm-115_chapter_010001.html

Some Highlights:

"If you have custom ringtones or background images in the TFTP directory,
you need to create a separate backup for these files. They are not included
in the Disaster Recovery System (DRS) backup file."

Good to know.  I must admit that I didn't know that.

"Record the following login and password information: all application users
credentials, such as DRS, AXL, and accounts for other third-party
integration"

What?  Why?  What do you plan on doing with my configuration?

"Record the settings for Enterprise Parameters on both [CM] nodes and
[IM&P] nodes. [T]he settings that are configured on Unified Communications
Manager nodes overwrite the settings configured on IM and Presence Service
nodes during the upgrade process."

Well that's some lazy software engineering right there folks.

"Export user records using the Bulk Administration Tool (BAT)."

That's a nice list of users you got there.  It would be a shame if this
upgrade deleted all of them.

And the list just goes on, and on, and on.  The pre-upgrade is as long as
the upgrade.  Who legitimately is already doing 100% of these things?