[cisco-voip] UCS memory sizing best practices

Ryan Huff ryanhuff at outlook.com
Sat May 5 08:17:09 EDT 2018

Here is Cisco’s virtualization software guide which is sorta like the bible of all the do’s and dont’s for Cisco virtual servers with VMWare: https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/virtualization/virtualization-software-requirements.html

I’m not sure if the specific statement you’re referencing exists, but what you will find in that guide is the requirement that no Cisco virtual sever is subject to resource over subscription on the virtual host server.

Applied to your scenario; if I have 8 Cisco UC VMs using 8GB of RAM each on a single host, I’m required to have at least 64GB of RAM available at all times on the host server, just for those VMs (not including RAM needed for the host itself). The same rule applies for CPU and storage (i.e; even though thin provisioning may work, you should always thick provision).

At 80+% utilization I’d suspect you may be right at the line if that doesn’t include the host resource overhead. I’d do a resource review on the host and triple check nothing is oversubscribed.

If you have a vCenter and the enterprise licensing setup, the resource oversubscription conversation usually includes it black sheep cousin, DRS.

Together, the two shuffle VMs around as needed, in real time, to “smooth out” the resources usage with in the host cluster / vCenter. With oversubscribed host resources, DRS tends to be more “active”. The dynamic resource scheduler is a HUGE no no with Cisco UC VMs; they cannot move at all, while powered on.

Hope this helps,

-Ryan-