[cisco-voip] Session/connection limits on multi-tenant CUBE

Fred Hunt fredmanwalking.voip at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 12:47:54 EDT 2019

We are trying to determine the best was to configure what will essentially
be multi-tenant CUBEs.  These will be multi-tenant in the sense that they
will interface with a number of different CUCM and IVR environments.  Each
environment will be considered a tenant.  We need a means of limiting the
number of SIP sessions the different environments will be allowed to use.
Unfortunately, I’m not seeing any tenant level commands that facilitate
doing so:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/voice/cube/configuration/cube-book/voi-cube-multi-tenants.html#reference_0DECA59896064A95ACCB2A2553107EA8

Thus far, we have come up with the idea to create different “voice class
uri” entries, comprised of the various IP addresses for each tenant.  Those
voice class uri entries would be used for dial-peer matching and a
“max-conn” parameter would be used to limit the number of connections using
each dial-peer.  We typically configure separate dial-peers for inbound and
outbound matching, in order to make the configuration more easy to visually
review.  If we continue with that design, this would allow us to implement
session limits on inbound and outbound dial-peers corresponding with each
environment.  However, we want to be able to apply a session limit globally
for each tenant, meaning inbound and outbound both count cumulatively
towards that limit.

Would it be better to have a consolidated dial-peer for each tenant, which
would be used for both inbound and outbound purposes, and has a “max-conn”
parameter?  My understanding is that to accomplish that we would use
“incoming uri” matching for the inbound side and destination dial-peer
group (using “voice class dpg” and “destination dpg”) for the outbound
side.  Alternatively, I think we could use pattern maps (“voice class
e164-pattern-map” and “destination e164-pattern-map”) instead.

Has any Cisco-VoIP list member faced this same scenario and, if so, what
configuration met your needs?  Am I missing a tenant level command that
would fulfill this need?  Am I on the best path to accomplish this with
what I outlined in the paragraph above?

Thanks in advance for any feedback