[cisco-voip] CUCM SU release cycle

Pawlowski, Adam ajp26 at buffalo.edu
Fri Aug 16 12:58:29 EDT 2019

Regarding the SU release cycle, I believe I have heard similar claims before about cadence and committal to move forward and not maintain old code but I'll believe it when I see it.

Regarding the cloud services, we're being asked to look too like many shops. I'm struggling to find the real advantage to doing so, other than for the sake of it. Most of our customers treat our service like a utility, and if we have issues we are on it right away. Some don't really care, and that number grows a bit year over year. No one plans for continuing operations if there are interruptions, and if we ride over the commercial internet and lose that service as well people will freak out being cut off.

I'm still trying to work an angle to shift us internally towards user centricity a bit better. Get accounts for everyone, assign and track resources, one mailbox, etc. In trying to eliminate the old square/key PBX feel we built 12 years ago out of this system (to replace so many of those ancient key systems), I'm hoping I can set us up to go forward into telephony applications, user focused services like Teams, etc which will make the pain easier. That would also let us get a better grasp on the classes of service that are going to form between the mission-critical and the yeah-it-would-be-nice-but-I-don't really-care, which can steer what runs prem or with fallback, and what runs hosted/cloud/out-of-my-hands.

Only real scare with a lot of these services is the lack of interface and access for someone like myself who likes APIs, who likes to tinker and build solutions and systems, instead of operating products.

Adam Pawlowski
SUNYAB NCS