[cisco-voip] Voice traffic over SDWAN

Ryan Huff ryanhuff at outlook.com
Thu Dec 19 16:24:49 EST 2019

If your SD-WAN solution has packet duplication (aka 0 time failover) my experience is that it tends to work well.

Other SD-WAN solutions may work better for VoIP if you can pin SIP/s RTP/sRTP to one side or the other (active/passive over active/active).

Depending on the VoIP and SD-WAN scenario, sometimes packets from call session A that started on network path A may end up on network path B in the SD-WAN appliance (when that traffic is load balanced/inspected/classified by the SD-WAN) and that isn’t always tolerated well by some real-time applications (Cisco Expressway can be uniquely sensitive to this).

Typical half duplex tcp traffic tolerates this fairly well and the sending/receiving applications may not even notice or see it as minor packet loss and initiate TCP retransmission. Full duplex traffic like media (and by extension real-time applications) generally do not handle that well.

Thanks,

Ryan