[cisco-voip] CPU Reservations

Pawlowski, Adam ajp26 at buffalo.edu
Mon Jul 8 11:57:50 EDT 2019

Hi all,

It's been a bit since I've asked this question, if I have here before.

Do we all run our UC appliances in VMWare with the full CPU MHz and core reservations prescribed by Cisco, in production? Or, if you have information on hand regarding the actual resource usage, have any of you taken on resizing the VM reservations?

The various documents are very much so clear that oversubscription isn't supported, but, it also talks about vCPU to cores which I'm told doesn't really play out in VMWare as it's a MHz reservation that can be scheduled in to available hardware.

There are various statements peppered in about running your own VM environment with best practices - but also the 1:1 pcore:vcore comments.

Is anyone turning these knobs? Has anyone stepped over that pcore:vcore line when it appears there are enough resources?

I'm looking for thoughts or unforeseen consequences that we can use to back somewhat of the case as to why we need to continue to fund hardware at scale which is largely idle.

Adam