[cisco-voip] CPU Reservations

Wes Sisk (wsisk) wsisk at cisco.com
Mon Jul 8 19:22:20 EDT 2019

Adam,

Yes, the reservation appears steep and outside monitors appear ripe for harvesting underutilized resources.

And 3 things come to mind:

* ccm.bin at its core is a distributed real time state machine. Delays have serious impacts. Feature are invoked across nodes. See the long history around CCM clustering over the WAN requirements for more background.
* mtp/moh/cfb are all essentially real time for audio.
* some processes are less predictable in their consumption of resources. “Resource Starvation” has many symptoms across features that are difficult to diagnose. This consumes more of your time as implementers, admins, and monitors. And it significantly degrades customer experience of the product and people servicing the product. There is an element of resource allocation that is akin to road infrastructure planning - it may appear idle many times and it can still be under provisioned during peak demand.

Consider for example
https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCtu18692

This under provision/over subscription negatively impacted several deployments.

In my experience VOIP has been a bit of a “canary in the coal mine” for IP applications. I see many situations where users are willing to re-send an email. Meanwhile the first call that does not go through, gets dropped, or suffers poor audio is grounds for immediate escalation.

Maybe some things to consider.

-Wes