[cisco-voip] room kits - smartnet or not?

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Tue Jul 16 09:44:32 EDT 2019

This is great feedback Adam.

I like the fact that the Room Kit mini operates as a USB camera so that you can plug it into your PC and use it with any software based solution. I'm hoping this plug and play option will be available with other Room Kit models soon.

I'm realizing that the CMR equivalent that supports SIP dialing is not an automatic thing with other solutions. And those are expensive to add. Case in point, SIP endpoint dialing support for Teams is provided by a third party partner and can cost around $2500/year per endpoint.

There are some up and coming vendor agnostic solutions that we're keeping an eye on. Some require a PC, some do not.

I tested out Solaborate Hello2 and had high hopes, but they disappointed on several levels. Most importantly, although they advertise 4K _everywhere_ it seems they have not worked with vendors to make sure the android apps they run recognize HD camera input. Webex was maxed out to 360p. Same for Jabber. They had no interest in resolving this issue, saying it was the vendors fault, not theirs. I tried working with their live support but they pointed to policy. Yikes. Missed opportunity there for sure.

One department has tried out https://www.owllabs.com/ 360 degree camera. They seem to like it. I'm going to try it out with Webex when I have some time.

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A. | Senior Analyst
Room 037 Animal Science & Nutrition Bldg | 50 Stone Rd E | Guelph, ON | N1G 2W1
519-824-4120 Ext. 56354 | lelio at uoguelph.ca<mailto:lelio at uoguelph.ca>

www.uoguelph.ca/ccs<http://www.uoguelph.ca/ccs> | @UofGCCS on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook