[cisco-voip] big news - Microsoft and Cisco collaborating again!

James Andrewartha jandrewartha at ccgs.wa.edu.au
Tue Nov 5 22:40:51 EST 2019

On 5/11/19 8:21 pm, Palmer, Brian wrote:
> I always figured that Microsoft would utilize Office365 to push more
> away from Cisco products and into the Microsoft Realm.  Microsoft will
> offer enterprise products for free in order to pull them into the fold.
> I figure all Microsoft needs now is to just buy a company that can fill
> the void they lack in the collaboration space and then they can attempt
> to offer an even fuller offering with office included.

Microsoft is trying to build out their cloud PBX product, but it's
nowhere near enterprise. My suspicion is that some big Microsoft O365
customers with complicated CUCM environments wanted to connect it to MS
Teams, and Cisco didn't want people to rip out Webex room systems for MS
Teams Room systems.

Personally I'm quite happy since we fall into the first category, we're
heavily into the Microsoft ecosystem but have CUCM, and were looking at
ripping it out so we could get Teams integration, but concluded that
Teams Phones and Cloud PBX wasn't mature enough for us (yet).

--
James Andrewartha
Network & Projects Engineer