[cisco-voip] VCS Expressway upgrade, 8.7 to 12.5

Ryan Huff ryanhuff at outlook.com
Fri Nov 15 11:46:35 EST 2019

A couple of thoughts for you...

  *   Get the software release key for 12.x now (you'll be asked to enter it during the upgrade in the GUI). You'll need to work with TAC > GLO for this if (and I assume this would be your case) the existing 8.7 serial is active in Cisco's licensing system. The caveat to trying to do this with Cisco's self-service license re-host tool is that while the 8.7 serial is active, it won't allow you to assign the new 12.x software release PAK to the serial because the serial is already assigned to another software release key.

     *   Take a backup first, your only roll back option is to re-install 8.7 and restore the backup.

  *   Your VMware Hypervisor needs to be 6.0/5/7.

  *   If you have Hybrid Services configured, make sure the management connector is up to date first.

  *   SSL Certificate validation changed a bit in 8.8+
     *   Verify proper forward / reverse DNS for all the relevant touch points
     *   Make sure the Expressway certificate trust is up-to-date with all the current CUCM,CUC,IMP identity certificates (self-signed) or CA certificates (public CA signed certificates).
     *   no duplicate certificates in the Expressway trusts

Beyond that, just pay attention to the caveats list in the upgrade doc for your version of 12.5.x (12.5.4 is the latest I think).

Thanks,

Ryan