[cisco-voip] setting primary phone for Jabber users without a physical phone - licensing

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Mon Jan 13 13:12:55 EST 2020

I'm trying to setup an easy to replicate (troubleshoot/reconcile) system in place for our Jabber deployment.

We've decided to assign each Jabber device type to each user so there's no end-user support issues when they want to use it on another device and/or move from one device type to another.

If I'm not mistaken, in this case, and, in any case where a primary phone is not set, more licenses are used then would need to be. The issue at hand here, is what happens when we deploy Jabber without a physical phone?

I'm already finding that the quick/add feature really only works when a phone is configured (although I have to work through that). So, I'm wondering, is it worthwhile to configure a "dummy" phone for Jabber users and set the primary phone for all Jabber clients to this dummy phone? Or should I ask them to pick the CSF jabber device as the primary phone for example?

What have others done?

Lelio