[dc-ops] DC-OPS Monitoring Software...

David Andrzejewski david at davidandrzejewski.com
Wed Sep 7 23:21:57 EDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Network IP Dog <network.ipdog at gmail.com>wrote:

> What do you use?
>
> What are the pro's & con's too?

I've never run a large data center, but I've been involved in small-ish
ones.  I'm a pretty big fan of Nagios (http://nagios.org/) because you can
write custom checks to do just about anything you want - and the checks are
just programs or scripts that need to provide a return code and a message,
so it works great if you have custom applications to monitor.  I can't speak
to how well it scales in larger environments, but it's fairly straight
forward to install, configure and use, and it's extensible.  Nagios Core is
what they call the free/OSS version, and they also have a commercial product
which adds some features.

I also have limited experience with Ipswitch WhatsUp Gold from a couple
years back.  It wasn't quite as extensible and I think it only ran on
Windows.  Overall it left a bad taste, but again that was a couple versions
ago.

> Was it based on limited budget or budget was not a factor?

At the two ${DAYJOB}s I've used Nagios, it was mostly based on budget, in
both cases monitoring needed to be set up, and the companies weren't quite
ready to spend money on software.

--

David Andrzejewski
http://davidandrzejewski.me