[dc-ops] Best Automatic Transfer switch you've ever used.

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Thu Sep 8 08:25:40 EDT 2011

Howdy,

We had an issue a few weeks back where our caterpillar ATS transferred the load to the generator but after utility was restored and it tried to transfer back to utility it got 'stuck' at neutral, it's ironic that it had two different power supplies feeding it at the same time and it couldn't manage to make either of them feed our UPS systems =)

So, aside from building a completely new B leg (which we are doing anyway) we are trying to figure out what the best vendor for ATS is?

I believe the ATS we have now is about 1MW which is why we have a Caterpillar now.

When we ask Caterpillar why their ATS failed they send out a diesel mechanic to look at it, which is pointless.

thanks,
-Drew